A New Kind of Learning

My biggest takeaway from watching the Life Practice Model is to remember to challenge the gifted students in my classroom. The students at Turning Point Learning Center had a lot of resources like personal computers, but I believe the best resource they had was the challenging projects presented by the teacher. Often, gifted and talented students are overlooked, or only pulled out of classrooms for short periods of time. It is our job as educators to provide GT students with opportunities to learn at a higher level than their peers.

I attended a private school for pre-school and kindergarten and then transferred to a public school after my family moved.  I don’t remember much about my first grade year, but I do distinctively remember being bored often; I was a head of every student in my class. I spent the majority of that year sorting papers, running errands for my teacher, and coloring. In this way, I can relate to those students who were not or are not being challenged in school. It can be extremely frustrating and could lead to students “giving up”; I never want my students to experience this feeling.

After watching this video, I was reminded of some things that I can do as a teacher in the future. As mentioned, I think it is extremely important to provide challenges to every student. I really enjoyed learning about the projects they completed at Turning Point Learning Center. Loved the classroom design project, this showed the power of giving children a voice. I also loved the idea of creating and maintaining a garden, this teaches the children responsibility and opens their eyes to the connection we can have with food. This project based learning is so wonderful because it allows the students to use their heads and problem solve, it gives them responsibility for their learning. I also think that there is merit in giving each child as much one on one time as possible. Colby talked about the advantages of having a small classroom and getting a lot of time with his teacher. One of my future goals is to create a classroom environment that feels this way, despite the number of students I have.

« July 2017 »
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .