Innovative Learning

In The Life Practice Model: a real life example, we were introduced to a student that was placed into an alternative charter school. I think that this change was just what this student needed to be successful in school. Gifted and talented students often have problems with bullying and being accepted just as the video suggests, and for this student to be able to attend a school that better fits his needs is great.

I think what I took away most from this video is remembering that every student is an individual. Each student has different needs and some of these needs may not be fulfilled from the traditonal setting. This student was able to have many resources that he would not have otherwise from the traditional public school and was challenged in ways that he had not been before.

From Colby's story, we are able to see that not every student needs to have the traditional public school setting to be successful. Sometimes we think of public school as being the most obvious way of schooling for kids, but it definitely is not. Through the Turning Point Learning Center, Colby was provided a priceless education that will help him achieve his goals for the future.

Screencasting Assignment

I did my screencasting assignment on how to make your Sprite dance in the program Scratch.

I was actually amazed at how simple using Screenr was! I didn't have trouble using it at all, it was an easy step by step process. What was more difficult for me was actually deciding what to do my Screencast on! I chose learning how to make your Sprite dance on Scratch. It took me a little while to figure out how to do this with my Sprite without making it look choppy and weird. So I figured it would be a good one to show others so they could learn how to do it themselves.

I really like the concept of using screencasts. I think this is a great idea for me especially as I am a learner that needs to watch the process and then do it myself. I never knew this was really available and I am interested to watch everyone else's screencasts so that I can learn how to do things in Scratch that I wasn't sure how to do.

I think that using Screencasts can be beneficial for your classroom as you could use them in order to show your students how to do specific things that require step by step instructions and you may not have time to go through in class or simply to have it has a reminder in case your students get stuck on a specific part.

Current mood:super tired!

Scratch Project

I chose to do the first option with this Scratch project, three different projects. I chose this option because I don't have much experience with Scratch and thought that doing one really hard project would be extremely difficult, as well as doing three projects would give me much more experience and allow me to learn how to better use it! I picked this one as my favorite from my Scratch profile:

Learn more about this project

(For some reason I cannot get my embedded video to load all of the way, I am not sure if it will happen to everyone else or not so here is also the image that it allows you to embed)

Scratch Project

Overall, I learned quite a bit about how to use Scratch while working on these three projects. I had a really hard time with this project above and would have liked to do a bit more to it, but I still was confused about how to do some things. I would have liked to sit down with someone that really knows how to use the program well and learned from them!

I think what helped me learn how to do what I did with Scratch the most was just playing around with it, but since I have limited time available I downloaded a tutorial from the discussion board that walks you through how to do basic things and that definitely helped me! Scratch is a great program for children to use that need to learn how to be more creative or just need new programs to work with. I would definitely suggest it to students in my classroom.

As far as using this in my classroom, after doing these projects and learning more about Scratch-I still cannot see this as being something I could integrate into my classroom subjects. I could see this being something I would have on the classroom computers for free time though. I think it is a fun way for students to use creativity and see the finished product, especially for students that are not interested in art. I really enjoyed working with the Scratch program and I loved seeing my finished projects, I am sure that my students will as well!

Current mood:exhausted

Mobile Learning

Adapting the classroom and integrating technology is something that is really important to keep students engaged these days, and Project Based Learning in Hand gives us a glimpse as to one way we can incorporate mobile learning in the class. Overall I was really impressed with this idea, not only would it engage students by involving something they most likely know how to use and actually LIKE to use (IPod Touch or IPad), it would be one way you could integrate technology into planning, researching or presenting different topics.

The only issue that I have with this idea, is that not many schools have the extra funding to come up with to purchase these devices. In a perfect world this is a fantastic concept-yet, I can't see it actually working in our economy. I personally do not have an IPhone, and will not have one anytime soon, so when it comes to all of the different applications you can use on them-I have no experience with them or way to use them.

I really liked the fact that he stated in the video that Project Based Learning looks different in every classroom. I think that this is so important to remember, as every classroom is made up of different students and teachers. This concept is something that could be modified and made to work in any classroom in many different ways!

Current mood:frustrated

Scratch That...

At first with Scratch I really did not know what to make of it, I wasn't sure why it would be used in the classroom and how you would introduce it to kids. I have to admit, I still am a little boggled as to how I would use it. I could see this being fun for kids to do on their own at home, but I am not sure how to use it in the classroom. I think it is great to know how to use it though!

Some things I know how to do:

• Play music
  • Make the sprite move
  • Create more than one sprite

What I want to learn:

• How to make my sprite move in time to the music
  • How to make my sprite and a second sprite move at opposite times

Current mood:Stressed

« July 2017 »
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .