The Life Practice Model

The Life Practice Model was a great example of schools soaring beyond expectations and meeting the needs of students who want and desire more from learning.  I think it was so smart of Caleb's mom to put him in the Turning Point Learning Center school, because he wasn't receiving the type of education he deserved at his other school. 

I think one of my favorite parts about the video was that each year, Caleb grew so much in his learning experience.  He said in the beginning of the video that when he had started out there in 5th grade, he wasn't up to par with his literacy skills and knew a lot about computers, but I feel like by the end of his term at the school, in 8th grade, he had learned so much in both areas.  Since it was also such a small group of kids in each grade, the children were able to learn from each other and help those around them.

I thought it was so neat that two 6th grade students made the medieval castle.  When I saw that they had created that and knew what they were doing, I was in shock.  It's so important that teachers are giving students the chance to do more hands-on and creative projects, not just worksheets and tests all the time.  Students enjoy working on stuff like the examples given in the video, instead of sitting at their desks all day.

A New Type of Learning--Project Based Learning

The video Project Based Learning in Hand was such a neat video about how to differentiate project based learning.  It was an eye-opener to me, because I didn't even know that making a video on an iPod exsisted.  As future teachers, it's important that learning is differentiated and this is just one of the numerous ways to make this happen.

By creating a project with an iPod or an iPad, children can gain so much knowledge.  To me, it requires a lot of thinking of where did I get this piece if information, where is located on my device and how do I want to display this in my project.  By using this type of learning, children's brains start working more and their imagination can soar, because of the multiple options that are available to display a project.  Children also love anything to do with technolgoy and especially iPods and iPads, because most have games on them, but through this they have the idea that they are using an iPod and that's cool to them.  I think it's particularly neat, because the iPod or iPad can be used for learning uses, besides games.

I hope that in the future I can apply this type of learning in my classroom, because it's a really exciting and new idea. It's also great, because it's a different form of learning. I think it's something children can learn from and love it. 

Screencasting

For the screencasting assignment, I decided I would give a tutorial on how to sign up for a pandora account and some of the features that are offered through a pandora account.  Screenr is an easy website to use once you are on.  I did have a little trouble using it, because of Java, but once I was able to find a computer with it, it was smooth sailing.  I really enjoyed doing this assignment, because it was a very hands on experience.  I was wondering how the guy on the Scratch tutorial was doing his video and realized when we did this project that this is one way he did it.  Below is my video on how to set up a pandora account.  I hope you enjoy!

Scratch-Option 1

I chose option one for the Scratch project and posted all 3 of my projects onto my scratch page.  I think my favorite one is titled "my scratch," because it's the first one i did, but it's hip hop dancers dancing.  I took the most time working on this one, so that's probably why I like it a little better than the others.  I chose this option, because I don't feel like I have the skills to complete a huge creative project on scratch just yet. 

I hope that I can use this in my classroom, but first I need to learn how to use the program way better than I do right now in order to successfuly run this with my future students.  I think it's a great project for the classroom and I give props to the teachers who do use it in their classroom, because to me that means they know how to work a lot of the controls on scratch. 

Hopefully with more time I will be able to use this in my classroom, because it really is a great tool.

Teaching Kids to Think Using Scratch

In this video, Teaching Kids to Think Using Scratch, I thought it was very helpful that he went over step-by-step instructions on how to perform specific tasks in Scratch.  It was good for me to learn through this video some basic steps that I didn't know and it was also a good review over what we've learned in class.  Since I was getting semi-frustrated in making my scratch project, because I didn't know how to do certain things, this video provided me with just what I needed to go to the next step without frustration of how to do things.  It also gave me insight to other things that I didn't need for my project, but were helpful since I was wondering about certain functions.

I was somewhat confused on how Scratch related to education, but this video also cleared up some of my confusion about this question I had been wondering about.  I feel like it's very helpful in math and this video gave the examples of making a square and a hexagon and I thought it was neat that through Scratch, children could learn angles and length.  This program can challenge children's thinking and can help them grow in skills they need to learn.  I would recommend this for any classroom and hopefully one day I will be able to incorporate it into my classroom.

« July 2017 »
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .