Final Exam Online

Our final examination is now available in our Moodle course. Remember, this final is optional. Your top 2 exam scores from exam 1, exam 2, and this final exam will be used in your final course grade. If you choose to take the final, you must take it by 11:55 pm CST on Friday, December 17th.

You will have one opportunity to take the final exam, and 30 minutes to complete it once you start.

Good luck!

Professional Wiki / Portfolio Turn-in Quiz Available

At last, the Moodle quiz to turn in the link to your professional wiki / portfolio is available. Please turn this in by next Friday, December 17th, at 5 pm CST.

Update on Grades and Final

Here's an update on where I am with your grades and the final - All grades are in Moodle for your screencasts, and about 1/3 of the grades are done for your Blog Checkpoint Quiz #3. I will complete those as well as grades for your Scratch projects tomorrow (Monday Dec 12th) and put the final online. It's taken me longer than I anticipated to read and reply to your assignments, and I want to give each of you good feedback... So I thank you in advance for your patience.

I'll post another update tomorrow, but I anticipate having all grades finished and the final available by 5 pm tomorrow. Remember the final is optional, you'll be able to look at your grades and decide if you want to take it or not. It will be 10 multiple choice questions, like exam 2.

Additional ideas for your professional wiki

I've posted this to our class FAQ and am cross-posting here.

Question: What else can I add to my professional wiki, in addition to the minimal requirements for our assignment? Answer: I recommend looking at some of the professional portfolio examples on our classroom wiki / professional portfolio resource page to get ideas for what else you might include in your professional portfolio. Andrea Smith's professional portfolio is well organized and can give you some ideas. Under her "Administrative and Supplemental" category at the top of her wiki, she has pages for her summer school teaching experiences, her background, experiences and philosophy surrounding curriculum development, her experiences with WEB (Where Eveyone Belong,) and other supplemental positions she's held at schools where she's taught.  Andrea has done a good job of "chunking" the information she wants to share into six main categories, which are listed as navigational links at the top of the page:

1. Introduction
  2. Documents and Videos
  3. Administrative and Supplemental
  4. Meeting the Standards
  5. Gallery
  6. Contact Me

As a pre-service education student, I recommend you draw on some of the projects and things you've learned in your other classes to date and considering sharing some of those on your professional wiki. Also consider sharing other experiences you've had working with children and developing your teaching skills on your site. In your career as you advance, you will make changes to this of course - but overall I'd think of your professional wiki as a space where you "tell your story" about who you are, what you've done, what matters to you, and gives others a clear picture of the kind of school and classroom you WANT to work in. Rachel Boyd's professional wiki is another exemplar to consider and study. In addition to including links to other sites where she shares links and information, and builds her "professional learning community, she maintains an updated bio page as well as a page where she lists past presentations she's shared about education, learning, leadership, educational technology, and other topics. I don't think I have a professional wiki which is as high quality as either Andrea or Rachel, but I use several sites to represent my "professional digital footprint." I use my professional wiki now (wiki.wesfryer.com) to primarily share links to my presentation and workshop resources. I also use that site to share information about past grant projects I've worked on (like TxTIP) and other resources. I have a more "traditional" website (created with an HTML editor, not a wiki tool - Kompozer) where I maintain my biovitae, a contact page, and other personal information. (www.wesfryer.com) I do think it's important to include a way for others to contact you. I use ClaimID (claimid.com/wfryer) to share the different websites I use and update. Until recently I didn't list my resume on a public website, but I do now using the free service Emurse. (wfryer.emurse.com) I like the way Emurse takes care of all the formatting, and provides multiple options to download and share a current resume copy. I've added the embedded "badge" for my Emurse-powered resume to my public vitae page. You might consider building a resume (for free) on Emurse and including / embedding it on your professional wiki. Dr. Helen Barrett is a "guru" of ePortfolios for teaching and learning. Her website, electronicportfolios.com, has links to a variety of other resources related to ePortfolios that may be of interest.

Scratch Assignment Deadline extended

Apparently there was some confusion (which I caused) about our Scratch assignments, whether they were due Dec 12th or Dec 5th. I apologize for the confusion. I'm happy to accept your Scratch assignments for full credit through December 12th. The Moodle quiz for Scratch turn-in remains open, it hasn't closed. On that note, all our assignment turn-in quizzes in Moodle are open if you still need to turn in work late. Per our syllabus, late work is given 80% credit, but that won't be the case on the Scratch project since the deadline information that was shared was confusing.

Smile

Registered users

Popular Tags
Member-list
Big debates
Blogs of the Month
Hot topics
Star index