Week1a Assignment: Digital Footprints reflection

Welcome to Computers in the Classroom with Wesley Fryer for Fall 2010 at UNT! This semester we are going to use this class blog to regularly reflect and share ideas related to our curriculum in this course. This week, your assignment is to:

1. Visit, read and view resources on our "Digital Footprints" resource page.
  2. Write a post here, on our class blog, sharing some of your own reflections about digital footprints and your own uses of social media.
  3. Comment on at least TWO of your classmate's posts here before our second class meeting on September 1st.
Remember to also:
  1. Thoroughly read our entire course syllabus.
  2. Sign up for our Textmarks channel for course-related text messages. (Instructions are on our course Resources page.)
If you have questions, post them as comments here on this post!

Allison Brewer
on  August 30, 2010  at  8:04 PM

After reading/watching information about digital footprints, I feel very reluctant to keep any online networking account open. It's hard to believe that we've come to an age that writing about a fun night out with your friends could potentially harm you in acquiring a job that will provide for you and your possible family in the future. I couldnt help but having a feeling of uneasiness after watching the Digital Dossier video in putting any information as simple as my name online for fear that something bad will come of that. I definitly am going to think a lot more from now on in regards to what I put on my facebook or online for that matter...

on  August 31, 2010  at  4:34 PM

Reading this really seems to make you think and realize how much we are putting ourselves out there for the world to see I don't think it quite registers with us as we are posting pictures, writting on walls, and commenting on things how much we are being watched. If I had known some of these things earlier in life some of the things that were and are on my social networks I wouldn't  have them on there I guess it is really true what they say you live and you learn.  I have already made a decision to most likely delete most of my social networks before entering into the work force especially the ones I don't use or even bother to check any more. Especially the ones I might have made when I was much younger. Who knew that you become a celeberity to the world even before you leave the womb and could potentialy not get a job because of it.

on  August 31, 2010  at  6:30 PM

I agree with Allison. After watching the video in class, I felt very uneasy about all the accounts that I'm signed up for on the internet. I use the internet not only to Google search information for my classes, but I also use it for Facebook, to keep track of my banking accounts, to check my email, to check my school email/information, etc.  If anyone were to hack i nto any of these accounts, it would be detremental. People need to be more aware or if not reminded of the possible risks when they sign into their accounts.

Rachel Frank
on  August 31, 2010  at  10:26 PM

I’ve never really been overly concerned with what my “Digital Footprint” looks like until now. These “Digital Footprints” are somewhat out of our control. Even if we ourselves act cautiously with regards to our personal information it’s difficult to control other people. As we enter into a more and more technological society we can rest assured that it’s only to get harder to have a private life. Private information being readily available will also pose a danger to the youth, whom live with little to no worries about privacy. My daughter is 10 years old and she is an active user of all the kid friendly websites. It really bugs me to know that at the age of ten her personal information is being stored and used.       

on  September 1, 2010  at  1:11 AM
(ModifiedComment modified)

I am glad people are starting to discuss and learn about their digital footprints.  I used to work for a company called Fellowship Technologies, where employees blogged, tweeted, and “Facebooked”. This was how the culture communicated with one another on a day to day basis. I was amazed at how technologically savvy these adults were- some even more so than I.  What surprised me even more was how this company hired people; resumes would come in and the first thing the recruiter did was look up the potential new hire’s Facebook. This was a natural reaction because Facebook is a way to “see” the person in a more depth-full way than to view black and white statements on a piece of paper. On this social networking site, you are able to find out a person’s likes and dislikes, their hobbies, and their lifestyle; you are able to tell who that person is in a nutshell in about 1 minute. After seeing how much influence a person’s profile had on their hiring potential it made me think about my own. I see how extremely important it is to only put things on the web that will reflect a positive image of yourself.  If things have been said or posted that aren’t positive “clean them up”, it’s never too late to revise and delete.  It’s also imperative for those of us who are going into the education field to have our digital footprints clean and professional-what do you want your future students to see when they Google their teacher?

on  September 1, 2010  at  1:27 AM

Allison and Shekinah, you both mentioned that you are thinking about deleting your social networking accounts before you apply for jobs…don’t delete them! I would choose one or two networks that you want to keep and clean them up or revise them in a way that they become a positive “advertisement” of who you are. Employers often like gaining information about a future new hire from more than one source.  

[anonymous]
on  September 1, 2010  at  7:05 AM

Rachel, I agree with you. I was never concerned about my digital footprint until now. It seems insane that no matter what measures you take, your information is still not secure.

Liz, its funny you made the comment about bank accounts online. That is the number one thing I use the internet for (besides facebook) is to check my bank account. If someone were to get my password into that account it would be terrifying to me. I'm glad I wasnt the only one concerned about that :)

on  September 1, 2010  at  8:19 AM

Comments for others:

Rachel: I'm also concerned with the younger generation. We are becoming more and more dependent on technology. I wonder what else will be used for technology in the future and if privacy will be better or worse.

Shekinah: We really don't think about what we're doing (in a sense) when we log onto Facebook or check our bank accounts online, etc. online. The risks are alarming once you stop and think about the possibilities or if they are brought to your attention. However, I wonder if that's enough to stop us. I'll admit that even after watching the video I still logged onto Facebook and checked my email and looked at my banking account - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. It brings a good question. Do you think we (our society) will become alarmed to the point of letting go of our dependence of the internet?

on  September 1, 2010  at  9:19 AM

Following the video from class, I feel like nothing is ever "private".  I frequently use the search engine google (daily), sites I use like facebook, my banks, target, pizza companies to order food, and the pictures i post in albums. No matter what privacy setting you choose for your pages someone will be able to access them.  There are too many scams out there to make this possible. My advice for people new to the internet is be aware of all the information you're being asked to fill out. If in doubt or if you have a "gut feeling" that something isn't right, trust that feeling. Because more than likely it's a scam and needs to be avoided.

on  September 1, 2010  at  10:11 AM

After reiewing the information on Digital Footprints I never really realized how big of a deal it is and could be. On social networking sites I have learned my lesson about putting too much information out there. Once you update your status on facebook everyone can see, and at the time you could be mad or upset and you can't take what you wrote back. I will now be more careful with pictures that are on my site and the content that i put on there. I think it is very important for young people to be aware of their digital footprint so they can be more careful on what they put online.

on  September 1, 2010  at  10:12 AM

I completely agree with Allison and Liz about how everything we do online or through any technology is an open book. It really makes me think about all the things that I do on the internet and all things that are saved to my computer. I use to think that things I do are private and is only known by me, but I was very wrong. It really makes me think about all the times that I have made credit card payments and checked my bills online and how all that information is saved. After reading/watching information about digital footprints really makes me reconsider all the things I do with technology. I understand that we are in a moving generation, but I don't think that it is a good thing if it can cause problems and privacy issues.

on  September 1, 2010  at  11:20 AM

Reading all the comments it seems like everyone was utterly shocked. Liz and Allison said that technology makes our lives an open book and they are completly right because you can google anyone in the world without them knowing.

Registered users

Popular Tags
Member-list
Big debates
Blogs of the Month
Hot topics
Star index